“Nothing is absolute. Everything changes, everything moves, everything revolves, everything flies and goes away.”
Welcome to the Vanderbilt’s Environmental Flow & Transport (VEFT) Laboratory’s homepage. We study the hydrology, geomorphology, and biogeochemistry of landscapes and river systems and their links with humans and ecosystems.
VEFT is part of the Department of Civil & Environmental Engineering (CEE) at Vanderbilt University. CEE is a multidisciplinary department with faculty specializing in Energy and Natural Resources; Risk, Reliability, and Resilience; Big Data Science; and Nanoscale Science and Engineering.
- Chao Wang successfully completed his dissertation. Way to go, Dr. Wang!
- Wu L., J. D. Gomez-Velez, S. Krause, T. Singh, A. Wörman, J. Lewandowski, Impact of Flow Alteration and Temperature Variability on Hyporheic Exchange. Water Resources Research, doi: 10.1029/2019WR026225
- Wales N., J. D. Gomez-Velez, B. Newman, C. Wilson, B. Dafflon, F. Soom, and S. Wullschleger. Understanding the Relative Importance of Vertical and Horizontal Flow in Ice-wedge Polygon Landscapes Using Tracers. Hydrology and Earth System Sciences (HESS), doi: 10.5194/hess- 2019-25.
- Tanu Singh, J. D. Gomez‐Velez, Liwen Wu, Anders Wörman, D. M. Hannah and Stefan Krause (2020). Effects of Successive Peak Flow Events on Hyporheic Exchange and Residence Times. Water Resources Research, 56(8), doi: 10.1029/2020wr027113.
- Grant, S. B., J. D. Gomez‐Velez, M. Ghisalberti, I. Guymer, F. Boano, K. Roche and J. Harvey (2020). A One‐Dimensional Model for Turbulent Mixing in the Benthic Biolayer of Stream and Coastal Sediments. Water Resources Research, doi: 10.1029/2019wr026822.
- Fang, Y., X. Chen, J. D. Gomez-Velez, X. Zhang, Z. Duan, G. E. Hammond, et al. (2020). A multirate mass transfer model to represent the interaction of multicomponent biogeochemical processes between surface water and hyporheic zones (SWAT-MRMT-R 1.0). Geoscientific Model Development, 13(8), 3553-3569.
- Song, X., X. Chen, J. M. Zachara, J. D. Gomez‐Velez, P. Shuai, H. Ren and G. E. Hammond (2020). River Dynamics Control Transit Time Distributions and Biogeochemical Reactions in a Dam‐Regulated River Corridor. Water Resources Research, 56(9), 10.1029/2019wr026470.
- Grant, S. B., A. Monofy, F. Boano, J. D. Gomez‐Velez, I. Guymer, J. Harvey and M. Ghisalberti (2020). Unifying Advective and Diffusive Descriptions of Bedform Pumping in the Benthic Biolayer of Streams. Water Resources Research, doi: 10.1029/2020wr027967.
- Konrad C.P., N. M. Schmadel, J. D. Harvey, G. E. Schwarz, J. D. Gomez-Velez, E. W. Boyer, and D. Scott. Accounting for Temporal Variability of Streamflow in Estimates of Travel Time. Frontiers in Water, 2, doi: 10.3389/frwa.2020.00029.
- Schmadel N. M., J. Harvey, R. Alexander, E. Boyer, G. Schwarz, J. D. Gomez-Velez, D. Scott, and C. Konrad. Nitrogen concentration saturation in headwaters increases regional and coastal delivery. In Press Environmental Research Letters. https://doi.org/10.1088/1748-9326/ab751b
- Kruegler J., J. D. Gomez-Velez, L. K. Lautz, T. A. Endreny, Dynamic Evapotranspiration Alters Hyporheic Flow and Residence Times in the Intrameander Zone. Water. 10.3390/w12020424
Nathan Wales successfully defended his MS thesis entitled “Understanding Flow and Transport in Ice-wedge Polygons” (November 15, 2017)